Thursday 7 February 2013

Ain't nowt wrong with dialect...


Except there is, a little bit. I accept that there is irony in me writing about correct English (feel free to point out my mistakes). This article has prompted much media discussion today: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/primaryeducation/9851236/Middlesbrough-primary-school-issues-list-of-incorrect-words.html

A headteacher in Middlesbrough has issued a list of “incorrect” words and phrases that she wants her students to avoid, including “yous”, “I done that” and “nowt”. I have to say that I agree with her.
I love different accents and dialects – the variety in vocabulary, the sing song Geordie accent, the fact that if you are familiar with the accent it is easy to distinguish between someone born and raised in Leeds between someone from Bradford, a city just a couple of miles away. It amuses me when a Northern word unthinkingly escapes my mouth as if to purposefully confuse a bemused Southerner who has no idea what I have just communicated. For example when I direct them to the park via the snicket (or ginnel) or say that the kids have been in the clarts or “could you hoy me that tea towel please?”. Our new house has a toilet in an outside porch area and after numerous occasions referring to the fact we had a netty it finally dawned on me that nobody had a clue what I was on about until my Geordie friend pointed out that it wasn't a word used in Royal Berkshire.

As a student working in pubs in West Yorkshire I was berated by the locals for being posh and stuck up because my Yorkshire accent was so mild. My first teaching job in Tooting, London left me feeling equally conspicuous – it was impossible to hide my short “a”s when saying graph or safety glasses, despite my protestations that “there is no R in glass”. Mind you I had no idea what the kids were actually saying in their youthful patois: “he jacked my pen Miss innit”.

Now that I have my own children I am particularly sensitive to how they speak. One of the most rewarding aspects of parenting is to follow the development of their language – how amazing the human brain is that it can learn vocabulary and grammar at such a fast rate. Every addition to their vocabulary is to be rejoiced, a wonderful gift. So it REALLY pisses me off when they speak poorly. This is because, if I am truly honest, I am a big fat snob. I had never really noticed the Berkshire accent before – it just sounded Southern to me. It is quite pleasant, with a slight West Country twang but sometimes people (i.e. those caring for my children at nursery) speak, how can I put this without causing offense...carelessly. Consequently my children (who are only 3 I hasten to add) say phrases such as: “I done it”, “let's go park” and “don't it”. It is like hearing nails down a blackboard. I am the epitome of the pushy middle class mum and I am perpetually correcting them. After all, they won't get into medical school if they do not speak correctly (JOKE, partly). These sayings are not examples of a dialect or accent they are just lazy English. As a result it is so easy to place someone into their social class simply by the way they talk. This may be wrong, but it just reflects the society in which we live. My Geordie family can speak pure Tyneside when they choose to but you can rest assured that when they need to speak to someone important on the phone they speak the Queen's English.

So, am I a big fat snob? Your opinions are always welcome!

Gemma

PS I have to admit that my husband keeps picking me up on my acquired Berkshireisms...nobody is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment